According to Woman's Day Magazine, it is not just adults who are suffering from depression. Kids are also suffering from this disease, especially in the winter months. One type of depression that children are especially susceptible to is SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Many adults have been known to get "SAD" but now according to the article, there is an increase of the amount of children dealing with depression/SAD.
"SAD" is a disorder that occurs in the winter months when it is dreary and cold. The sun isn't shining as brightly as it does in the spring and summer seasons. Weather affects the moods of children. I have found myself to become depressed in the winter months, especially when I spend more time indoors.
I chose this article because, as a new parent, I am concerned about potential problems that my child may face as he grows into adolescence. I am interested in knowing how to prevent such problems, and how to deal with them as they arise. The subject of depression can be found in chapter 14 on page 543 in the textbook. A treatment that is mentioned in this chapter (which is proven to work especially for children) is sitting them in a room with full-spectrum light which is a much brighter light than you would get in standard indoor lighting.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment