I chose this article because the concept of memory really interests me. I often have trouble remembering important things like people's names and special dates, and this study helped me to see the importance of sleep (something I don't get a lot of lately!) Our textbook discusses sleep in Chapter 4, pages 131-135. On page 140, the activation-synthesis hypothesis suggests this same type of REM dream mode: the consolidation of thoughts while dreaming.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
In the Time Magazine article "Behavior: Sleep for the Memory" the author suggests that sleep is essential for humans to create memories. According to research, REM sleep is vital not only for memory creation, but also for coping with daily stress. Researchers found that people who watched very distressing movies during the day had an increase in REM sleep at night, indicating that sleep served as a coping response. Scientists believe that REM sleep helps people consolidate their thoughts and make sense of traumatic experiences that their awakened mind cannot, because it allows the person to create some sense of resolution.
I chose this article because the concept of memory really interests me. I often have trouble remembering important things like people's names and special dates, and this study helped me to see the importance of sleep (something I don't get a lot of lately!) Our textbook discusses sleep in Chapter 4, pages 131-135. On page 140, the activation-synthesis hypothesis suggests this same type of REM dream mode: the consolidation of thoughts while dreaming.
I chose this article because the concept of memory really interests me. I often have trouble remembering important things like people's names and special dates, and this study helped me to see the importance of sleep (something I don't get a lot of lately!) Our textbook discusses sleep in Chapter 4, pages 131-135. On page 140, the activation-synthesis hypothesis suggests this same type of REM dream mode: the consolidation of thoughts while dreaming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought your blog on sleep was pretty interesting...on how it is a coping mechanism and how it should help with memory. I am a phenomenal sleeper, a friend of mine once said that I could fall asleep giving a tiger a bath. I can definitely say that I agree with this and apparently so do the school systems since they always recommend a good night sleep prior to any test taking.
ReplyDeleteJacques.
Good article. I also heard proper helps weight loss as well. Enjoyed reading this, thanks for info - enlightening.
ReplyDelete